小妇人
Little Women 英文 中文 双语对照 双语交替 首页 目录 上一章 下一章 | |
9 Secrets
| 9 秘密
|
|
|
One October afternoon,Jo caught a bus into the town and stopped outside a building in one of the busy streets.She went in,looked up the stairs and,after a minute,ran out again.She did this several times,to the great amusement of a young man who was watching from the opposite side of the road.But the fourth time,Jo gave herself a shake and walked up the stairs.
| 10月的一天下午,琼乘公共汽车到了镇上,在座落在一条繁华大街上的一幢楼前停了下来。她走了进去,向楼梯上望了望,片刻,又跑出来。她这样反复了好几次,使得在街对面看着她的一个年轻人感到很有意思。可是第四次,琼鼓了鼓勇气,走上了楼梯。
|
The young man crossed the road and waited.It was Laurie.Ten minutes later,Jo came running out,but did not look pleased to see him.
| 那个年轻人过了马路等候着。那是罗瑞。10分钟之后,琼跑了出来,可看上去不太高兴见到他。
|
'What are you doing here?'she said.
| “你在这儿干什么?”她问道。
|
'I'm waiting to walk home with you,'he said.'I've a secret to tell you,but first you must tell me yours.'
| “我在等着跟你一起回家,”他答道。“我有个秘密要告诉你,可你得先告诉我你的秘密。”
|
'You won't say anything at home,will you?'said Jo.
| “你什么也不会对家里人讲,是吗?”琼问。
|
'Not a word,promised Laurie.
| “一个字也不说,”罗瑞发誓说。
|
'I've left two of my stories with a newspaper man,'said Jo,'but I'll have to wait until next week before I know if they will be printed.'
| “我给一个报纸编辑留下了两篇我写的故事,”琼说,“可我还得等到下个星期才会知道它们会不会被发表。”
|
'Miss March,the famous American writer!'said Laurie,throwing his hat into the air and catching it.
| “马奇小姐,著名的美国作家!”罗瑞说道,一边把他的帽子扔到空中,然后又接住。
|
Jo looked pleased.'Now,what's your secret?'
| 琼看上去高兴起来。“那么你的秘密是什么?”
|
'You remember Meg lost a glove at the picnic?'said Laurie.'Well,I know where it is.'
| “你还记得麦格野餐的时候丢了一只手套吗?”罗瑞说,“哎,我知道它在哪儿。”
|
'Is that all?'said Jo,looking disappointed.
| “就这个吗?”琼说,看上去挺失望。
|
'Wait until I tell you where it is,'he said.
| “别急呀,等我告诉你它在哪儿,”他说。
|
'Tell me then,'said Jo.
| “那告诉我吧,”琼说。
|
Laurie whispered three words in Jo's ear.
| 罗瑞在琼耳边小声念叨了三个字。
|
She stared at him,looking both surprised and displeased.'How do you know?'
| 她盯着他,看上去又惊又喜。“你怎么知道的?”
|
'I saw it.'
| “我看见的。”
|
'Where?' asked Jo.
| “在哪儿?”琼问。
|
'Pocket.What's wrong,don't you like it?'
| “兜里。怎么了,你不喜欢这个消息吗?”
|
'Of course not.It's stupid!What would Meg say if she knew?'
| “当然不。这太愚蠢了!麦格知道了会说什么?”
|
'You mustn't tell anyone,'said Laurie.
| “你谁也不许告诉,”罗瑞说。
|
'I didn't promise,'Jo reminded him.
| “我没发过誓,”琼提醒他说。
|
'I thought you would be pleased,'he said.
| “我以为你会高兴呢,”他说。
|
'Pleased at the idea of someone coming to take Meg away?'said Jo.'No,thank you.'
| “为有人来要带麦格走而感到高兴吗?”琼说,“不,谢谢。”
|
She ran off down the hill,but Laurie came after her and reached the bottom first.She came up behind him,her face red and her hair blowing in the wind.
| 她跑下山坡,可罗瑞追上了她并在她之前到达了坡底。她从他后面走过来,脸红红的,头发飘在风中。
|
'That was fun!'she said,forgetting her crossness in the enjoyment of a good run.
| “这真有意思!”她说,她已因为奔跑的快乐而忘记了她的不愉快。
|
At that moment,someone passed by,then stopped and looked back.It was Meg.
| 就在那时,有人从他们身旁经过,然后停了下来朝后看。那是麦格。
|
'What are you doing here?'she said when she saw Jo.'You've been running,haven't you?Jo,when will you start to behave like a young lady?'
| “你在这儿干什么?”她看到琼,问道:“你刚才奔跑来的,是吗?琼,你什么时候才能像个年轻的淑女?”
|
'Don't make me grow up yet,Meg,'said Jo,looking sad.'It's hard enough having you change so suddenly.'
| “别让我长大,麦格,”琼说,看上去挺伤感。“看见你突然的改变就够难的了。”
|
Meg was growing into a woman,and Laurie's secret made Jo realize that Meg would leave home one day,perhaps soon.
| 麦格正在成长为一个妇人,罗瑞的秘密使琼意识到麦格有一天会离开家,也许很快。
|
Two Saturdays after Jo had gone secretly into town,Meg saw Laurie chasing Jo all over the garden before the two of them fell on the grass,laughing and waving a newspaper.
| 两个星期后的星期六,琼悄悄去了镇里,麦格看到罗瑞满花园地追逐琼,然后两人都倒在草地上,笑着舞动着一张报纸。
|
'What can we do with that girl?'said Meg.'She never will behave like a young lady.'
| “我们该把那个女孩子怎么办呢,”麦格说,“她永远也不会像个淑女。”
|
Minutes later,Jo came in with the newspaper.She sat down and began to read it.
| 几分钟以后,琼手中拿着报纸走了进来。她坐下来开始读那份报。
|
'Are you reading anything interesting?'asked Meg.
| “你是在读些有趣的事吗?”麦格问。
|
'Only a story,'said Jo.
| “只是个故事,”琼答道。
|
'Read it aloud,'said Amy.'It may amuse us.'
| “大声地读,”艾米说,“它没准会逗我们开心。”
|
Jo began to read very fast,and the girls listened.It was a love story about two people called Viola and Angelo,and most of the characters died in the end But the girls enjoyed it,and Meg even cried a little at the sad parts.
| 琼开始很快地读,孩子们倾听着。那是个关于两个名叫维奥拉和安尼鲁的人的爱情故事,大多数人物在结尾时都死去了。可女孩子喜欢它,麦格甚至在听到伤感的段落时还哭了。
|
'Who wrote it?'asked Beth,watching Jo's face.
| “谁写的?”白丝问道,看着琼的脸。
|
Jo put down the newspaper.'I did,'she said,her eyes bright and shining.
| 琼把报纸放下。“我写的,”她说,她的眼睛亮闪闪的。
|
'You?'said Meg,surprised.
| “你?”麦格吃惊地说。
|
'It's very good,'said Amy.
| “这太好了,”艾米说。
|
'I knew it!'said Beth.She ran across and put her arms around her sister.'Oh,Jo,I am so proud!'
| “我就知道!”白丝说。她跑过去用双臂搂住她的姐姐,“噢,琼,我真骄傲!”
|
And how proud Mrs March was when she was told.
| 当马奇太太被告知这件事时,她也特别骄傲。
|
Everyone began to speak at the same time.'Tell us all about it.''How much did you get for it?''What will Father say?''Won't Laurie laugh!'
| 每个人都开始异口同声地说:“告诉我们这一切吧。”“为这篇文章你得了多少钱?”“爸爸会怎么说?”“怪不得罗瑞笑呢!”
|
So Jo told them all about it,and that evening there was no happier or prouder family that the Marches.
| 于是琼就把一切讲给她们听,那天晚上,没有比马奇一家更快乐的家庭了。
|
|
|
OK阅读网 版权所有(C)2017 | 联系我们